Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Don't Wait


On January 11th I lost a dear Aunt and encourager. Doris was always in our lives, her husband was our pastor for all of our life as children. She was there at church playing the piano and worshiping the Lord. I can still hear her as she sings about Jesus or heaven. She was there when our Mom died and she did her best to insure that we were taken care of. Although I was 19 when Mama passed away, Doris felt it her duty to take care of us. She always said that she had promised Louise, that was my Mom's name, that she would take care of her boys.


I had just completed my freshman year of college when Mama died. One thing that Doris did was to encourage me to go to Bible College. I had absolutely no desire to go to Bible College. But Doris was persistent, that is one thing you could say about her. Once she got something in her head she would not let it go. She kept after me while I completed my second year of college. I was going to a 2 year school, so I was finished. But Doris wasn't anywhere near finished. I finally agreed to go to the Bible College in Nashville. I had it in my mind to go for a semester and then go home and tell her that I had tried it and I didn't like it. But God had other plans. God is funny that way.


I went to Bible College and really loved it. I meet a wonderful girl who eventually became my bride. I entered ministry and am now serving my Savior. A great deal of the credit goes to Doris. She encouraged me (constantly) to go, she prayed for and encouraged me after I went and always supported me throughout this journey.


When she died, I wondered if I had ever told her what she meant to me. I know that I had told her that I loved her, and I know that she loved me. But, had I ever told her what an influence she had been in my Christian life. What a model of Christlike love she had been. I don't know if I did. I believe that she knows it now, in heaven, but I wish I had told her myself. So my advice to you is "Don't Wait!" If someone has influenced you, tell them now. Let them know what their life has meant to you. I wish I could do that now.

No comments: