Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Secular -vs- Sacred

As a Christian I have compartmentalized my life sometimes into two different parts. The sacred and the secular. But is that really what life is supposed to be. Isn't our whole life supposed to be sacred. Or dedicated to the sacred. Well as some of you know I recently began working at a national pharmacy chain since losing my ministry position. Some of the things we sell I don't use and I am concerned about those who do. We sell cigarettes, beer, wine and liquor. Some of the people show the signs of abuse and you wonder what are the needing in their lives? Well, I am not able to witness to them, but I do pray for them. I learned the practice of breath prayers during my studies and I practice that each time I sell some of these things. A breath prayer is a brief prayer that can be said basically in the time it takes to take a breath. I simple pray that God will show his love to this person and help them with whatever is affecting them in life. At times I even continue to pray after they leave, because I sensed a deep need in their life. No, I am not some super spiritual guy, but I have discovered a way to minister in my current situation. I do pray that God will show his grace to those who are suffering from some pain or hurt. Those who live without the hope of Christ. I hope that this experience is teaching me that my whole life is sacred and I need to know that my whole life should be one of ministry.

No comments: