Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bulls eye?

I have been doing some thinking lately about God's will. We have all heard of The Purpose Driven movement and all that it entails. God has created us for a purpose, but is there a specific will or purpose that God has for me, or is it more general. According to Purpose Driven, if I understand correctly, our purpose is to have a relationship with God. Is that good enough though. Does God have a target out there for us, a bulls eye so to speak, that we are to hit. If we miss the exact center and end up doing something a little different does that mean that we are out of God's will. Is God's will for our lives very narrow, or is it a little bit broader than we tend to believe? Does God have a particular position out there for me, in a particular church, in a particular city, state, etc. Is there a house that God has reserved for me, a school that he wants my children to go to, a street that he has picked out for my family to live on? All very good questions, but sometimes I think that God's a little bit more open than we think. I wonder if maybe the fact that God has called me to be a minister is fulfilling his will. Not that I have to be at a particular place at a particular time, but that I obey his leading when it is very direct and specific, and when it is not so direct and specific, that I continue to minister. Maybe, God wants us to just do the thinks we know to do. Worship him, serve God and our neighbors, share the good news of Christ with others, no matter where we find ourselves or what position we end up in. Just some random thoughts and questions.

No comments: